Thursday, June 23, 2011

Who do you write like?

I love this website, it tests, apparently, who you write like.
Check it out on I write like:

So I thought I'd put it to the test:

On the first one, I pasted some text from the imitation James Joyce piece I did last week:

....sure I'd get off the bus at Parnell Square and pop over to the Garden of Remembrance stepping down the steps and tripping over the junkies saying: 'hows it going, bud?' and them shaking all over sitting in Dublin's park that honours the great dead of the country and hoping the children of Lir in the statue come alive and rescue those junkies, bad hair and black teeth, they must be someone's son, for crying out loud?....


Result:
I write like
James Joyce


Then I tested it on an actual piece written by James Joyce:

.......Yes because he never did a thing like that before as ask to get his breakfast in bed with a couple of eggs since the City Arms hotel when he used to be pretending to be laid up with a sick voice doing his highness to make himself interesting for that old faggot Mrs Riordan that he thought he had a great leg of.......


Result:

I write like
James Joyce


That's good considering it was actually James Joyce.

Then I thought I'd type in a random piece of mind garbage (I found that a bit too easy to do).

...So I said to himself, sure why don't we have a bit of steak for tonight's dinner and sure, he looks at me as if to say, don't be bothering me with your women's nonsense, jaysus, I'm off to watch top gear and look at cars I can never afford....

Result:

I write like
James Joyce


Uncanny? Now, I'm thinking it doesn't work, or else I am actually chanelling James Joyce and will continue all my writing in that strange stream of consciousness style.

Should I be worried? Or should I accept the spirit of James Joyce in my life?

Or should I just get off the internet and do some actual real writing?

Happy Thursday!!

19 comments:

The Bug said...

I put in my "Shy" poem (from here:http://danabugseyeview.blogspot.com/2011/06/shy-jam.html). I'm Rudyard Kipling!

Emerging Writer said...

Dubious. It says my women's novel, The Story of Plan B is in the style of Chuck Palahnuik. I'm obviously not absorbing his style as I've never read anything by anyone called CHUCK

Brigid said...

Yay for you Dana, Rudyard Kipling is nice.

Kate, I shouldnt laugh but I will.
I must check out your novel, congratulations! I'm sure you write nothing like a Chuck.

Old Kitty said...

You are SO James Joyce incarnate!! Yay!! More so you are James Joyce whom I understand and won't be stuck on page 2 for over 2 decades when you publish your novel!!

Me - I'm Neil Gaiman. If I were him, I'd sue! LOL!!!!

Take care
x

KarenG said...

I apparently write like Chuck Pahluniak as well. He wrote Fight Club as well as other profanity-filled intense men's novels. I write tidy women's fiction, with maybe one 4 letter word in the entire ms. So, yeah, who knows?

Martin H. said...

Great fun, Brigid. I've tried this before, and it came back as James Joyce. Just tried it again (with different text) and it's telling me I write like Arthur Clarke. Now, there's a combination.

Words A Day said...

My ghost estate is novel is written in the style of chuck Pahluniak (man), my unfinished novel, is like, wait for it, margaret mitchell, my short stories are like Margaret Atwood (yahoo)...Maybe I should stick to stories:

Brigid said...

Old Kitty, that is good, move over Neil Gaiman.

Karen, Chuck for you too, that is crazy.

Martin, that is some combination, such fun.

Niamh, I'd opt for the Margaret Atwood, that is a great one.

Theresa Milstein said...

That's fun to play with, isn't it?

I've gotten different responses based on various manuscripts. My new one says I write like
Chuck Palahniuk. Now I have to read something by him.

Try different bits of your manuscript. I always check the beginning. But maybe it would be disheartening to find out we're all over the place.

Words A Day said...

hi Brigid, it must be the day for it...did you see the gender test(at my place)? I'm a guy! Cheaper hair cuts for me!:)

Emerging Writer said...

profanity-filled intense men's novels - ah. That explains it. (not)
I've never met a man called Chuck I could get along with. Maybe because I've never met a man called Chuck.

Brigid said...

Theresa, you are a Chuck as well?

Niamh, I finally got it to work, I'm a man too.

Kate, well, Fight Club didnt do too badly. I don't think I've ever met a Chuck either, not even in blogland.

Geoff Moore said...

Hmm...interesting. I got an Edgar Alan Poe, a Nabakov and an Ursula Le Guin before I put in THE most off the wall and bizarre thing I've ever written and had it come back and tell me it was like James Joyce...
When I put in three of my novel extracts. I got a Mary Shelley, a HP Lovecraft and a HG Wells...I can live with that...

Brigid said...

Geoff, that's a pretty impressive list, I'd be happy with any of them.

thegalnxtdoor said...

This is freaky!
I tried it out with a post from my blog, and it says I write like HP Lovecraft. Have never read anything by him.

jane.healy said...

oh I missed this last week ... I tried that once - it was fun; would that I did write like anyone remotely famous.

I wanted it to say (when you actually posted James Joyce) writes like ... Brigid O'Connor

Bee's Blog said...

I put in two entirely different pieces and I got Dan Brown both times. Am now off to find something really, really different from the first two and see what happens!!

Bee's Blog said...

Now I've had James Joyce and H P Lovecraft! And now I'm J K Rowling probably because I called myself a witch and talked about my broom!

I was secretly hoping for Erma Bombeck because in my early blogging days some said that I reminded them of her! Didn't happen so now I'm three men and a woman rolled into one! There has to be a story in there somewhere. Cross dressing perhaps?

Andressa said...

Accept the spirit of James Joyce!